• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe lower back pain

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Have a Severe Lower Back pain. Been there from April 1, 2017. Visited A couple of Doctors. Some says Disc problem other says muscular problem. No Relief as such. the pain in in the Lower back and the Hip region. Since a few days its started going down to the leg as well.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Visit neurologist / neurosurgeon...

Detailed Answer:

Symptomatically, back pain radiating down behind the leg is typical of sciatic pain resulting from a disc prolapse. However structurally, MRI has no feature of disc prolapse / nerve compression. Therefore to resolve this doubt, I will recommend you visit a neurologist / neurosurgeon. A good clinical and neurological examination coupled with EMG studies will help us identify the cause exactly. If disc prolapse / nerve compression is ruled out, you will benefit with regular pain threshold lowering drugs like pregabalin along with physiotherapy.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr. Prasad