• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe lower back pain

Posted on Fri, 14 Nov 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband, age 58 has been experiencing lower back pain that makes it very painful to get out of bed, etc. In addition, since the back pain began about 3 weeks ago, he is having diarrhea after eating; this doesn't happen after every meal but at least 1x every day. Of course, I'm very worried and concerned.....any idea what may be going on? No fever...no pain when urinating.....thank you in advance! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Incontinence is complication of lumbar pain

Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX

You seem to be talking about uncommon complication of severe lower back pain (lumbago). This is not very common. If it appears it needs immediate attention by spine surgeon. It needs to get an MRI scan of the lumbar spine. MRI is a mechanism to track if the bulge is getting back to place in the spine.

Usually there could be a disc bulge that impinges on the nerves which also serve the anal sphincter. If they do not work properly then there could be incontinence. If it is contrary with no effect on spincter, diarrhoea would aggravate the back pain as further.

So in either case it require immediate attention by a spine surgeon or neurosurgeon. A back pain that does not reduce with rest or without rest for 3 weeks should be cared for.

I think this could inform you about the nature of problem your husband has.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam