Suggest treatment for severe itching of the arms

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My arm has been itching off and on for about a year now and it's getting worse. It's the top of the arm from elbow to about the wrist. I also have a pin in that arm if that helps
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It's most likely to be neuropathic pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems more likely to be neuropathic pain as is explained by the radiation of pain. A detailed neurological and sensory examination of upper limb preferably by a neurologist is recommended to isolate the causative nerve and it's root values.

A Xray of cervical spine to look for signs of spinal nerve compression may be needed. D3, B12 and folic acid levels will also help to exclude these as a cause.

Meanwhile analgesics like acetaminophen or ibuprofen can be used. If pain doesn't respond to these more potent analgesics like tramadol or nerve pain suppressants like gaba pentins or duloxetine may be needed.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj