• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe dysuria

Posted on Mon, 14 Dec 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi since yesterday I've been feeling pain everytime I pee ..it hurts bad ..especially today oMG it's worse ..I can't stand the pain and I have to go pee like a lot of times like every 20_30 minutes and it's really painful ..I'll appriciate if u can help me ..reAly don know what to do ..especially when I saw blood on my pee something really wrong
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please go to an urgent care clinic for urinalysis. You likely have a UTI.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

You likely have a bladder infection which can cause bleeding, pain, and frequency/urgency. Best thing to do is go in to a clinic and give a urine specimen. They should do a "dip urinalysis" which is done while you are still there and will give information about if the problem is a bladder infection (UTI). If it is, (and I think it is) you will be given an antibiotic. The urine should also be sent to the lab for a culture and sensitivity. The Culture identifies which bacteria is causing the infection, and the Sensitivity test shows which antibiotics are most effective for treating it. This is important because if the antibiotic they prescribe isn't adequate, they can see which antibiotic would be best.

Usually Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) works well on UTIs.

After going in to give the urine specimen, pick up some cranberry juice concentrate or cranberry powder capsules. And some "AZO".

The cranberry will help fight the infection.

The AZO will decrease the pain.

Drink lots of water. And lots of the cranberry juice.

I recommend using cranberry concentrate instead of the Ocean Spray cranberry juice because Ocean Spray has a lot of sugar, and if you are drinking a lot of it, you will be getting too much sugar. Instead, mix the concentrate with water and a little unsweetened apple juice. It will be tart but will help the UTI. If you can't find this, it's ok to use Ocean Spray.

You will feel better soon! Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 15 minutes later
Can u give me prescription..is Flagyl help UTI?since that's what I'm taking now and ibuprofen for pain..
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Flagyl is not for UTIs.

Detailed Answer:
Flagyl is used for other types of infections but I doubt that it will help much for a UTI.

This website is for help with diagnosing and providing information, but we cannot prescribe on this site. I believe the company has a disclaimer about that on the website. It's best to go in to give a sample. There are reasons for this, such as if the antibiotic doesn't work well enough, or if you start to have a complicated UTI (pyelonephritis), the doctor will already have information of what you are suffering from.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh