Suggest treatment for severe dizziness, nausea and diarrhea

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Yesterday, when I was standing at the sink, I got a terrible dizzy spell. I leaned back against the wall because I felt like I was going to fall. A few seconds later, I became very nauseous. I layed down in bed, a little later, I developed a slight headache, body aches, stomachache and loose bowels. Today, I still feel dizzy when I get up, and still have all of the other symptoms, the nausea being the worse. I took my BP 2x today, it was 133/79, and HR approx. 63. What is your diagnosis?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to an inner ear disorder.

Cervical spondylarthrosis (chronic degenerations of the cervical column) or a viral infection could also explain your symptoms.

Orthostatic hypotension could be another possible cause underlying your symptoms.

I recommend going to the ER for a careful physical exam and performing some tests to investigate for the possible cause:

- a resting ECG
- a cervical column X ray study
- complete blood count
- blood electrolytes
- kidney and liver function tests
- PCR and sedimentation rate

If all the above tests result normal, I would recommend consulting with an ENT specialist and perform labyrinthine tests to exclude a possible inner ear disorder.

A head Up Tilt test may be needed if suspicions of orthostatic hypotension are raised during physical exam.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
I forgot to include that I have curvature of the spine (hereditary) also arthritis in my back, and #6 disc in my neck is compressed due to a car accident. I do go t a Chiropractor on occasion, but haven't because of the nausea & dizziness. At this point of time, these two problems are a little better at this point. Do you suggest I still follow your recommendations or maybe see my Chiropractor first? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the additional information!

Coming to this point, the dizziness and nausea seem to be related to these chronic degeneration in your cervical spine.

You should know that the vertebral arteries that lie in this region can be compressed by the chronic bone degenerations, leading to these symptoms.

There is no need to perform further tests as things seem to be clear now.

I would recommend avoiding abrupt head and neck rotation during these days.

A cervical collar can also be helpful.

Consulting with your Chiropractor would be the next step to be followed.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri