Suggest treatment for severe diarrhea and recurrent diverticulitis flare ups

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: One round (10 days) of antibiotics (Avelox) helped but didn't seem to cure what I believe to be a diverticulitis flare up (I've had it before). My doc has prescribed another round of the same and several days of clear liquids. Now diarrhea has begun; taking some Pepto. Of course it is the weekend... Should I visit an urgent care center? Feeling weak from lack of calories...
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you should visit the nearest Gastroenterology set up.

Detailed Answer:
Diverticula are small, bulging pouches that can form in the lining of your digestive system.Sometimes, however, one or more of the pouches become inflamed or infected.This is medically termed as diverticulitis.
As infection is not responding to Moxifloxacin,I would suggest you to go to the nearest Gastroenterology set up where typical oral antibiotic regimen can be given (combination of ciprofloxacin (or trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) and metronidazole.)
Once you are on combination therapy initially clear liquid diet only should be followed advance the diet slowly as tolerated after clinical improvement, which usually will most occurs within 2-3 days.
As you are feeling week several blood investigations like Total leucocyte count ,Serum electrolyte etc should be done.Stool routine and microscopy along with culture and sensitivity should be done to check sensitivity of antibiotics.
As of now i would suggest you to visit the nearest emergency or Gatroenterology set up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy