Suggest treatment for severe dandruff

Dr. R.G. Joshi

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I want to take treatment for my hair. I have a lot of dandruff and I wanted to know how it can be avoided.
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ketoconazole shampoo will help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, thanks for writing to healthcare magic.I can understand your concern.

Dandruff is a fungal infection of hair.It is commonly seen in age group of 20 to 30 .

Change in hormones leading to oiliness of scalp causes dandruff.

Gold standard treatment for dandruff is ketoconazole shampoo.It is available in market with many brands.

It should be applied twice weekly .It will clear infection,however long term application is recommended to avoid recurrence.

Avoid using hair creams,gels as it can lead to more scaling and dandruff.Application of oil is recommended only at night.

You can apply steroid antifungal lotion like candid b in case if there is severe itching.

I hope this will help you.In case of any concern i will be happy to help you.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana