Suggest treatment for severe cramping under the ribs radiating to the back

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Cramping pain under right rib radiating around middle back area
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Female/60 - cramping pain under right rib - radiating around middle back area - taken Ibuprofen ...

With the short history the probable reasons may be:
Gall bladder inflammation
Liver inflammation
Right Kidney problems.
If the pain is superficial, in the skin being enhanced even by touch then the chances are of neurological like Herpes zoster/Shingles, nerve compression or entrapment.

Please give additional information:
Any associated nausea, vomiting, bloating, change in bowel habits?
Fever or any other constitutional symptoms?
Is the skin sensitive, any rash on the skin in line with nerve distribution?

Awaiting for your feedback.
With Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 46 minutes later
Hi Dr. Thank you for your promp response. I had my gall bladder removed 21/2 years ago and since then have had pain like this before. Doctor said it probably scar tissue . Is it possible to have shingles and hove no visible rash?

Sometimes I get aprickly and itch sensation.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Usually not seen but possible.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
Noted the GB was removed.
Usually Shingles will be having the history in past causing neuralgic pain like this.
Sometimes mild rash might have come in past but might have been trivial and hence not noticed. This is seen in practice.
Secondly, it is better to get the MRI of the thoracic spine to see if there is any prolapsed disc problem or so causing such a pain.

Brief Answer:
Nerve related most likely

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

As per this descriptions, it goes in favor of neurological pain.
Please get a Neurological evaluation, investigations and management accordingly.