Suggest treatment for severe cough with low grade fever

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Infections
Question: I am having a severe cough with a low grade fever. Fever was 101 then dropped to 98.7, today it was back to 100. I have had a sore throat since a week ago Saturday. I can't eat anything but soft food. Productive cough with nasty looking phlegm. I saw a Urgent care doc on Thursday and he said I have a cold and will get better. Any ideas what I do next?
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be a case of viral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through the details. It seems that you are suffering from a viral infection which could be responsible for your sore throat, cough as well as fever. Irrespective of treatment, it will be there for 5-7 days. It is often associated with rhinitis and sinusitis which is responsible for your nasty looking phlegm. The things to be done are:
* Take steam inhalation. The water in form of vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the phlegm and would provide relief.
* Gurgle with lukewarm water. It will provide relief for sore throat.
* Take paracetamol/tylenol in case of fever. Tepid sponging will also be helpful.
* Most often it is associated with some allergic reactions. Antiallergics like cetirizine taken once a day should be helpful.

Considering the nature of symptoms and fever, it may be a good idea to test yourself for strep infection using over the counter available test kits.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha