• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe cough, fever and sore throat

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I have cough(irritating throat) from 2 days. Not sure whether it is because of viral or bacterial infection or just a acidic trigger.

It started with small amount of Phlegm coming out from throat when I got up yesterday morning. I feel like the Phlegm present only in my throat and lungs seems to be clear. Whenever I cough I see small amount Phlegm coming out and it was more yesterday and today morning.

I dont have cold, running nose, irritation in eyes and fever. I have little body pain and feeling lazy. I am almost sleeping entire day today.

I am taking below medicines as per one of the doctor's advise.
1. Zedex cough syrup
2. Betadine gargle 3 to 4 times a days
3. Took one Allerga tablet yesterday night.
4. Took 2 Dolo, yesterday and today.

My pain problem is that there is a trigger for the cough in the throat and the body pain could be because of the excess coughing.

Please advise whether this is a sore throat(Viral), Step throat(Bacterial) and a acidic trigger and the medication to overcome this.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
sounds like a viral infection

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is not likely bacterial sore throat because there is no fever mentioned above, strep throat would be associated with a high fever.

It is not triggered by acid secretions because that would not usually cause fatigue.

It is likely a viral infection. Persistent coughing can cause chest pain because of using the muscles in the chest wall but should not cause pain otherwise.If there is pain otherwise this would be due to the viral infection itself.

Viral infections typically last 1 to 2 weeks though in some persons the cough can persist for up to 8 weeks.

The medications that you are using should help you

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Thanks for the response.

Please advise whether I should continue taking Allerga tablet as I believe it is used to treat the allergic condition. Will it help in my condition?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is an antihistamine

Detailed Answer:
HI

It is an antihistamine, these can sometimes help reduce secretions which may be contributing to your cough

You can use it for now
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later
Thank you for the quick response again.

I feel that now there is a little pain at the end of mouth or the starting of throat and there is a indication of upper respiratory tract infection.

Please advise on how long I should wait/consult doctor for possibility of bacterial infection if at all present.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
if no fever, unlikely bacterial

Detailed Answer:
HI

Most bacterial infections are associated with fever though viral infections can have fever as well.
The fever with viral cough/colds normally last 3 to 4 days only but if you have a bacterial infection, it would last longer.

If there is no fever at all, then bacterial infection is unlikely.

Upper respiratory tract infections/cough/cold can last 1 to 2 weeks, usually viral
Dr. Michelle Gibson James