• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe cough, dizziness and persistent nasal bleeding

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had a septoplasty and sinoscopy done on march 29th and returned the next day for swabbings to be removed. It is now bleeding and i have a bad cough and dizzy

I am on antibiotics and using inhaler but i feel worse now than after a couple days. I am using otrivin drops and a cream. I am a smoker and worried that it may be causing further problems. I have a check up on wednesday but its the dizzyness and still bringing up blood im concerned about also.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Apply pressure and cough gently!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this dizziness and persistent bleeding. I have reviewed your information fully and this is most likely worsened by the cough. DO you also have a cold? This is because these conditions would delay healing and fragilize the blood vessels. If the blood is nothing more than a stain on tissue paper, I will say be calm cough gently and apply pressure when bleeding observed so as to stop and prevent it. As for dizziness, drink much water and avoid upright positions unless vey necessary.

Smoking is bad for health and bad for your recovery. Please, this is the best time to consider quitting! The benefits of such a decision are uncountable.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 8 minutes later
I dont have a cold but it does feel like a really bad head flu at moment. Now you say avoid sitting upright? I thought i was meant to be sitting up elevated. My post nasal drip was bad before surgery and thats how it feels only worse as its blood. How long until my nose is able to be blown as i keep sneezing a stitch tickling the inside. I realise smoking is a very bad habit and will it make my surgery outcome worse rather then a clear nose and sinuses finally
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Smoking should not make teh prognosis any worse!

Detailed Answer:

This is a minor procedure and smoking history has no major impact here. Sneeze and cough with great control to avoid this bleeding. When the nose can be blown would be determined through monitoring. I actually meant to talk about sitting up elevated. Please, keep off the previous mix up regarding this.

I wish you well. Keep me posted on this.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah