Suggest treatment for severe cough and stabbing pain in the abdomen

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi,

My head hurts when I cough or poop and I want to know if I should be worried. Background: I got sick 2 months ago and it went from fevers to a cough that lasted for 3+ weeks. Not pneumonia, not bronchitis (as per physician) but really bad cough with no fever. A few days into my cough, my head started to hurt with each cough- short, stabbing pains. I have had that ever since, though I cough rarely now. Today, I just noticed the pain when I pooped and wondered if this could be sinus or if I should be worried about something else.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not really

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on HealthcareMagic.
The stabbing pain which you are describing seems to be increasing on pressure .Like when you cough or poop there is a lot if pressure on the body .
Just try bending your head and let me know if the pain increases.
Nevertheless it could just be cluster headache due to strain .
Headache due to sinusitis does not present this way .
But I would also recommend you a CT scan of the brain to rule out any major problem.
Are you on any blood thinners?
Do not use aspirin till you get a CT scan done.
A simple Dolo 650mg should help you alleviate the pain if severe .
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D