Suggest treatment for severe cough and irritation in the throat
I've spit up sputum only once, but the worst part about this is that there is an irritation in my throat, that causes me to cough once, twice, or three times, and then I'm OK for a bit, and then it happens again.
I'm beginning to feel better with regard to other symptoms (lack of appetite, some possible slight fever for a bit, some minor aching in my two shoulders and upper arm). What can I do or take to allow me to stop coughing and sleep better? Thanks, XXXXXXX XXXX
different aspects of treatment
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Coughing can be due to irritation of the airway and also drip of mucus to the back of the throat. The drip itself may not be detected, the person may mainly present with a cough.
Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant , some cough medications use codeine as a cough suppressant instead
Robitussin has the cough suppressant dextromethorphan, if you combine this with sudafed which has a decongestant, this may help. There is also a form of sudafed that has both the decongestant and cough suppressant
The decongestant helps reduce the dripping to the back of the throat
If the cough is wet then a mucolytic, which helps to break up the mucus, may be needed eg bisolvan, guaifenesin, mucomyst
There are some persons who unfortunately may have a cough that persists after all of the other symptoms have resolved.
This is called post viral or post infectious cough and it can persist for weeks in those persons
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for cough with throat itching and nausea
- Suggest treatment for severe coughing
- Suggest treatment for throat infection and cough
- Suggest treatment for sore throat and severe coughing
- Coughing and sore throat suggest the treatment
- Suggest treatment for sore throat with cough and runny nose
- Which treatment is suggested for cough and soar throat
- Suggest treatment for sore throat and dry cough
- Suggest treatment for irritation in throat
- Having cough throat pain and sweating suggest treatment
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?