Suggest treatment for severe abdominal pain

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I am having severe abdominal pain. Had a colonoscopy 9-28 and have just developed a UTI.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of diverticulitis also to be noted.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
Noted your findings about colonoscopy, last week no BM for 4 days followed by large movements, explosive diarrhea, started taking probiotics and now have small frequent BM. Had colonoscopy 9/28, polypectomy, have numerous diverticuli.
Took Uricalm as you think you have UTI, have severe abdominal pain in the right lower abdomen, temperature raised, heating pad not helping, pain has gotten worse.

I would advise you the following:
First of all, to send the sample of urine for routine, microscopy, culture and sensitivity.
Stool tests for 3 consecutive days
High resolution Ultrasonography and Contrast enhanced CT scan to see if there is development of diverticulitis or any other problems or rule out certain diseases.

I think if the reports are positive you need a course of an antibiotic, metronidazole, continue probiotics. See the results and go for further tests if needed.
Since you have diverticuli, the possibility of diverticulitis has to be born in mind and this can give symptoms of UTI too due to proximity of the bladder and intestines.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 14 minutes later
I do have a strong history of UTIs. And there have been times when a good bowel movement would eliminate the pain of UTI. I am trying to wait until dr.s office opens in about 5.5 hours. I have no one to take me and hate to call an ambulance. My husband suffered a stroke over two years ago and I am trying not to cause him any anxiety over this. Is it safe for me to wait?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can wait for 5.5 hours, please get further investigations

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to know about your husband, I can understand the plight when no one is there to take you to the Doctor.
Yes, you can wait for this much time.
Since there is strong history of UTIs, please talk to your Doctor if further tests can be carried on to find the reason for UTIs.
As you have mentioned, a good bowel movement would eliminate pain of UTI, the chance of divericuli/Diverticulitis (inflammation in diverticuli) in proximity of the urinary bladder causing this problem should be investigated for and treated accordingly.
How is your Husband at the moment.
Take care, please give me feedback, I shall be happy to assist you further.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 46 hours later
Thank you for your concern. I was able to have my son take me as a walk-in when my doctor's office opened Monday. I was fortunate to be seen by my own primary care physician. He did have an x-ray done of my bowels. He said it did look like I had a collection of stool in it. Waiting on radiology report, then I am to take some samples he gave me. I think they are stool softeners. I told him that I take 2 Colace (100mg. of sodium docusate) a day, should I increase it and that is when he prescribed the samples. I should hear in the morning if he thinks I need to take them. I have had one episode of diarrhea, which didn't really feel complete. I also gave them a urine sample that definitely showed an infection in my urinary tract. His office is also sending it to be cultured. He prescribed me with Cipro. I slept all day after returning home yesterday but have already had great relief. I did the bare necessities and rested. Today (Tuesday) I feel almost like a new person. I am glad because I had a dental check-up this morning and a field vision test at my optometrist's office this afternoon. My husband is actually doing fine. He can manage to get his own breakfast and snacks on his own. He has never had pain and has no idea how bad I felt yesterday. I think mostly he is concerned of who will take care of him than anything. I had hydronephrosis in the right kidney this summer and ended up having surgery to remove a stone blocking the ureter tube. I thought I was passing a stone the end of February, but it never passed and after the initial pain and going to urgent care I never had any more pain. It was found when my doctor had an MRI done of my lower spine. I do have several health issues, but I try to eat healthy and take care of myself and I do have some of the best doctors. I cannot take NSAIDs and am allergic to most pain medications. I appreciate your alieving my anxiety. If I really was bad enough, I think I would call for help, but I try to keep from alarming XXXXXXX unnecessarily. I am 65, my husband is 72. I am up later than I intended and it is already tomorrow. Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please give feedback.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
I can understand the situation one goes through n which you are.
The stone in the ureter might have caused the UTI and continues to trouble you due to may be incomplete antibiotic course. I do recommend to take antibiotics for at least 2 to 3 weeks for the UTI to settle well.
Take care, have proper courses of the medicines.
Drink plenty of water as it helps to flush the urinary infection.
Let us wait for the culture report, once available and if it indicates the infection and gives sensitivity reports, please request your Doctor to give long courses of antibiotic for cure of UTI.
I hope Colace helps you.

Please give the feedback.