Suggest treatment for severe abdominal pain with diarrhea

Posted on Thu, 2 Feb 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: For the past 24 hours I have experienced stomach pain. Watery yellow diarrhea every few minutes for the last two hours, belchong, claminess, general weakness....unable to sleep for more than a few minutes between bouts. Sometimes heavy retching occurs..I am 72
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
keep your hydration and electrolytes level adequate

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am a Gastroenterologist.

It appears to be due to GI infection. For which I will suggest you to take plenty of fluid and electral powder to prevent fluid and electrolyte insufficiency. Also take a course of probiotics along with mild antispasmodic like drotavarine.

Meanwhile get your blood and stool examine (Complete haemogram and stool routine microscopy) to see for any infection and if it is there the a course of antibiotic like ofloxacin will also be required. For retching take a proton pump inhibitor like rabeprazole 1 tab od before meals.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you . Wish you a good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist