Suggest treatment for scabs caused by posing ivy

Dr. Karen Steinberg

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Skin Rash
Question: Hi I thought I had posing ivy on my feet, so I bought some calamine lotion and have been applying it regularly. I even tried to clean the scratch marks or scabs with hydrogen peroxide. However none of the wounds are healing at all, and the scratches I have on my arm from work aren't healing either. Today I noticed a significant amount of swelling on my ankles and it has been like 5 days since the scabs, I'm not sure what it is...by the way the scabs were caused by scratching
Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be a skin infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for using Healthcare Magic. You might developing a cellulitis from the open wound it looks like you have on your foot. It's hard to be certain from the picture, but the area around your ankle looks inflamed a bit as well as swollen. The scratching could have pushed skin bacteria into the wound and now they are beginning to spread. The antibiotics prescribed for your root canal may not have been the best ones for a cellulitis.

You don't mention the nature of the arm scratches from work and how they relate to your feet, so I am not sure exactly what your concerns are about that. If it's in general about them not healing and you've had them a long time, it's possible that your immune system is not functioning as well as it should, and this is also why you are having problems with the foot wounds. You should be seen by a doctor for this possibility and have at minimum a complete blood count test done.

You mention taking Percocet. This is a strong narcotic. If the pain from these wounds is bad enough to require that, then I am even more concerned that a significant infection is starting. I strongly suggest that you see your doctor promptly or get seen in an urgent care clinic. If cellulitis is developing, it can spread pretty fast. The correct antibiotics are necessary for a week or two at least.
If you have developed a fever, get seen right away.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D