Suggest treatment for runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes and dry cough

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 7 Nov 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hello Dr.
I'm writing about my son who is 10 years old, and has had the following symptoms off and on for 2 months: a runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes, and a dry cough. This week we have noticed slightly red patches on the opposite side of his elbow, the back of his throat looks a little red. My wife has a some medical equipment so we listened to his lungs and looked in his ears (she used to be an MA). I can occasionally hear wheezing when he exhales, and my wife was able to see small bubbles behind the ear membrane. He does not complain of any ear pain, soar throat, or headache. No one in our house smokes. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I need more information - please get back with answers to my questions

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic. Greetings from XXXXXXX
By what you quote I feel what your kid is having is asthma.

I have a few questions and suggestions for you -

Questions:
1. How many days per month do the kid cough or feel breathless?
2. How many nights per month do the kid’s sleep get disturbed due to above symptoms?
3. Does the kid feel breathless when running around or plays with other kids?
4. Are the symptoms when there are seasonal changes?
5. Is there any family history of asthma or any other sort of allergies like skin allergy etc.?
6. Are the symptoms always associated with fever?
7. Is there any past history of middle ear infection?

Get back to me with answers to my questions, so that I can guide you better.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 16 minutes later

1. 4 out of seven days
2. no problem sleeping
3. sometimes, yes.
4. yes.
5. father has asthma, mother has history of eczema.
6. has not had a fever.
7. no history of middle ear infection.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably asthma - Suggestions given

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... This Looks like asthma.

Suggestions:

1. There are certainly alternative management therapies in allopathy now-a-days. Medicine has advanced a lot and not asthma is 100% controllable.

2. Inhalers are the newest management strategies for this. If I were your paediatrician I would have suggested the use of Foracort metered dose inhaler (100mcg) 2 puffs twice a day through a spacer and this is for regular use for 8 weeks.

Another metered dose inhaler is Levolin and this can used as rescue therapy whenever the kid is having severe cough in spite of regular usage of Budecort. The technique is very important and very crucial for the drug to be delivered correctly to the lungs. Regularity of medicine usage also matters a lot. So do not discontinue abruptly after you notice some improvement. The technique of administering an inhaler using a spacer has to be taught to you by your doctor and these are prescription medicines. So I suggest you consult your paediatrician for this.

3. Triggers can be environmental changes/ dust/ talcum powder/ seasonal changes/ un-cleaned a/c vents/ cold weather etc....we can specifically say this is the cause - unless we observe the kid closely - best person is the parent.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,