Suggest remedies for cold and cough in a child

Posted on Tue, 3 Oct 2017 in Child Health
Question: Is nebulization safe in children. I have a 3 yr son who has congenital heart problem. He frequently gets cold, cough which causes him discomfort. I generally use nebulization as my first line of defence instead of giving him pediatric suggested cough syrups. My friends tell me that frequent nebulization is not good and may get addicted. Is this true? Does it really get used to ? I use LEVOLIN .63 or BUDECORT depending on his cough. Sometimes i use only NS.
I personally think that it is better to us nebulization than cough syrups which will have multiple chemicals. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nebulization without oxygen is not safe

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern. But there have been case reports where children and adults who have been nebulized without oxygen at home through Nebulizer machine have complications with respect to the conduction system of the heart which can cause Rhythm abnormalities and sudden death.

I suggest you not to use nebulization without oxygen. At the same time I agree that cough syrups with multiple medications or be avoided. The other 2 best alternatives are using metered dose inhalers or if you are very particular about using nebulization only, you can do it with an oxygen cylinder at home and giving nebulization using oxygen.

I have a few questions for you, please revert back with answers.

Questions:
1. How many days per month does he cough or feel breathless?
2. How many nights per month does his sleep get disturbed due to above symptoms?
3. Does he feel breathless when he runs around or plays with other kids?
4. Are the symptoms when there are seasonal changes?
5. Is there any family history of asthma or any other sort of allergies like skin allergy etc.?
6. Is the cough always associated with fever?

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology