Suggest treatment for ring worm infection

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 21 Jan 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My wife believes she got ring worm and a possibly infected it. Treatment suggestions
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may need both an antifungal and antibacterial

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Ring worm is caused by a fungal infection and it can take 2 to 3 weeks for it to respond to treatment because fungi are slow to respond.

It is possible, by itching the rash (thereby putting bacteria from under nails), to introduce bacteria into the mix so that a person has a bacteria and fungal infection.

If this the case, she would need to use both an antifungal and antibacterial cream.

Examples of topical antifungals are lamisil cream, ketoconazole, miconazole, clotrimazole

Examples of topical antibacterial creams are neosporin, fucidin, bactroban

If it is itchy short term use of a mild topical steroid would help to reduce the inflammatory reaction. A mild steroid like hydrocortisone can be used for 2 to 3 days.

These can be found over the counter.

The antifungal should be applied for 2 to 3 weeks with q tip or cotton or clean cloth that is then discarded.
The antibacterial is applied for a week to 10 days.

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions