Suggest treatment for red rash with green scales on scalp

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi I have green scales and a red rash on my scalp i could send a picture I have tried anti dandruff shampoo but it comes back straight away.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have to take oral and topical medication both to resolve the condition.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcaremagic
I have seen the photograph you have uploaded and it is seborrheic dermatitis which is a severe form of dandruff.
In such cases I recommend oral medication along with topical drugs.
I recommend my patients to take tablet ketoconazole 200mg daily and apply a lotion containing combination of clotrimazole beclomethasone twice daily on the affected areas for atleast 2 weeks. As far as shampoo is concerned you can use a shampoo containing combination of salycylic acid and ketoconazole ( salisia kt shampoo) every alternate day to begin with and tapering slowly as you experience improvement as seborrheic dermatitis is a chronic disease.
You should also avoid applying oil on the scalp.
I hope to have answered your query.
Wish you speedy recovery.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad