Suggest treatment for red itchy rash on the arm

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi doctors. I was scratched by my cat on the arm about a week ago, first put on fluclox for a couple of days, redness started spreading so changed to doxy 4 days ago. Infection of the scratch looking a little better now, redness visibly less and no longer spreading, but ive developed a rash near the scratch for 2 days thats getting worse though still localised. Was intensely itching yesterday but calmed down today, but visibly more spots. Pictures attached.
Not sure if i need to be concerned about this. Did the glass test, all fine. Fever ranging from 36.9 to 37.5. Feel a little coldy but nothing severe. Bp, pulse all good. Any ideas ? Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry, take antihistaminic & apply cortisone cream

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I am Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, a dermatologist.
I have gone through your complaints as well as seen the uploaded pictures.
I don't think there is any need to worry.
It seems to be some kind of inflammatory reaction to the scratch of the cat.
If you haven't developed any lymphadenopathy then there is no need to worry.
I would recommend you to continue with doxycycline and apply topical antibiotic like neosporin ointment or mupirocin cream on the scratch twice daily.
For the associated rash take antihistaminic like tablet Chlorpheniramine maleate 4 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching and apply cortisone cream on the affected areas twice daily for 5-7 days.
This should resolve the rash.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad