What causes severe itching on the body during pregnancy?
Symptomatic treatment. Requires monitoring of serum bile acid levels
Hello. thank you for writing to us.
I am asr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the attachment.
She has a raised alkaline phosphatase levels (ALP) and raised alanine aminotransferase levels (ALT). Unexplained pruritus in third trimester along with elevated LFTs (particularly ALT and bile acid levels) is suggestive of intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy (ICP).
She should be monitored with serum bile acid levels (BA) every 1-2 weeks and if raised above 10 micromol/ litres that would confirm ICP and then she should be treated with udiliv (ursodeoxycholic acid). This is the most specific treatment of ICP.
In the meantime she may be given oral antihistamine which is safe in pregnancy e.g chlorpheniramine (tab. cpm 4mg, thrice daily) for symptomatic relief from itching. Topically she may use a moisturizer to calm itching.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes severe itching in ears with smelly discharge
- What causes persistent severe itching
- Swollen legs with severe itching what is causing this
- Severe itching during pregnancy
- Severe itching caused by diabetes
- What causes severe itching with skin redness on leg
- Severe itching causes
- Causes of severe itching skin
- What causes severe itching and burning in the vagina
- What causes severe itching and diarrhea