Can insect bites cause itching and swelling on the arms?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My arm is swollen red & itchy. Looks like a spider or insect bite?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Insect bite, steroid antibiotic cream, antihistaminic, oral steroid if req

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have reviewed the attached photograph and it seems to be an insect bite.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply steroid and topical antibiotic like cortisone cream and neosporin ointment on the affected area twice daily and take antihistaminic like tablet chlorpheniramine maleate 4 mg twice daily.
If the swelling doesn’t settle in 2-3 days you might require a short course of oral steroids like tablet prednisone 20 mg once daily for 5 days.
Oral steroids are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Besides this don’t hang your arm as it will increase the swelling.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D