Suggest treatment for red, itchy rash on abdomen and thighs

Dermatologist
Question
I have a red, itchy rash. It started on my lower abd area and spread to my inner thigh, buttocks, back, upper abd, and a little on my arms neck and legs. It seems to be more "concentrated" near my panty line and bra line. I have had it since Monday morning 8/4/14. I have taken Claritin 24 hour gel caps and been using anti itch spray (1% hydrocortisone) to relive the itch. It has been helping with the itch, but the rash is still there.
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide good resolution close up pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have seen the attached picture .
I must say that the picture quality is not that great.
I would like to have a closer look at the rash at different body areas to reach a final diagnosis .
Kindly click some close up pictures of the skin rash and upload them here on this page.
Also please provide certain details about the skin lesions.
Which all areas are involved? Any lesions over arms and legs?
Is the rash only over the trunk with involvement of only proximal arms and legs?
Any associated itching or discomfort?
Any fever?
Any rash over face or scalp or oral cavity?

I am sure I will be able to help you more once you provide me the above details and the pictures .

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for red, itchy rash on abdomen and thighs 19 minutes later
Which all areas are involved? It started on my lower abd area and spread to my inner thigh, buttocks, back, upper abd, and a little on my arms neck and legs. It seems to be more "concentrated" near my panty line and bra line
Any lesions over arms and legs? No
Is the rash only over the trunk with involvement of only proximal arms and legs? Yes
Any associated itching or discomfort? YES
Any fever? NO
Any rash over face or scalp or oral cavity? NO rash on face or oral cavity. some redness near my hair line on head but no rash
I don't know how to upload another picture

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fungal infection, take treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You seem to have developed a disseminated candidal infection.
Such an infection does not come up suddenly. I am sure you must be having some infection in the groin and inner thigh region and below the breast area since quite some time.
You should not apply cortisone over it.
Apply an antifungal cream like canestan cream over the affected areas twice a day .
You can continue to take tablet claritin once a day.
Keep the affected areas clean and dry .
Wash the areas twice a day, dry them and then apply the medicine . Do not apply any other cream or oil or moisturizers over body.
Wear cotton undergarments and clothes so as to reduce sweating .
You need to apply the medicine regularly for atleast two weeks for complete cure.

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for red, itchy rash on abdomen and thighs 5 minutes later
Ok.
I have had a swollen lyphnode for the past week in my groin area. It has been slowly going down and is a lot smaller and does not hurt. I thought it might have been from a possible bug bite infection. Here is a picture of the bug bite...
Sorry the lighting is bad in the picture

Could that bug bite be what is causing the fungal infection?

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lesion of folliculitis , apply antibiotic cream

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I have seen the picture.
It rather looks like a lesion of folliculitis to me which is basically an infection of the root of hair follicles. A bug bite wouldn't do that.

Try and apply a topical antibiotic cream like neosporin or mupirocin over the area twice a day.
It will get better with the antibiotic treatment . Avoid application of any other cream or oil over it.

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for red, itchy rash on abdomen and thighs 13 minutes later
Ok so with the lesion put antibiotic cream.
And the rash, I put anti fungal cream everywhere the rash is?

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment as advised

Detailed Answer:
Yes you are right.
You should continue the treatment for atleast ten to fourteen days to prevent any recurrence .
However if at any point, you feel that the rash is persisting or increasing inspite of treatment, then you will have to see a local doctor since there might be a need to introduce some oral medicines.

Dr Geetika Paul