Suggest treatment for recurrent facial paralysis while having Bell's palsy

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 6 Jan 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I've had 4 previous bouts with facial paralysis on my left side that have all stemmed from water/moisture/severe damp and cold situations. They have all come to pass with enough time however, the doctors always treat it mildly and call it "Bell's Palsy" - even though I told them two days ahead of time that it would happen! Now, I had the same symptoms on my right side after being unable to clear my ear after a swim and my right side is paralyzed! They still insist it is Bell's Palsy!! I need to do more than a steroid pack and anti-virals!!
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recurence needs further examinations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Bell's palsy rarely can recur, so five times recurence needs further evaluation about the cause.

In my opinion, it is necessary to get blood tests about possible viral infections (herpes simplex, herpes zoster, mononucleosis, CMV, adenovirus etc.) of the facial nerve done.

There is need also for imaging ( MRI of head and brain ) to complete the examinations and evaluate conditions such skull base infections eg.

There is need to discuss with your primary care Doctor about these issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Without health care coverage, which course of action would you recommend as least expensive?

Between the two - which is the most important?

If you were me - what would you do?

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and thanks for being on follow up.

If I were you, i would consider a brain MRI, at least, in order to have a better understanding of the condition.

If MRI turns out to be normal, you should continue previous treatments about Bell's palsy.

Hope I helped you.