Suggest treatment for recurrent bleeding from the nose of a teenager

Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello our son is now a healthy 15 year old boy. He has had minor allergies and bloody noses on and off for YEARS. We did the cauterization twice at ages 5 and 8. His pedicatrican believes this is allergy related. They are not severe and resolve fairly quickly. He had one today and then 2 days ago. They are not accompanied by any other symptoms such as headache or malaise. Should I just continue with the allergy medication and nasal spray? He has not been very compliant with this. It is worth noting that my husband and I have minor allergies and do NOT get bloody noses. I am always thinking maybe this is more sinister than allergies. All checkups reveal normal CBC etc.
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bloody nose

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.
Based on the history you've given, I agree that this is most likely due to his allergies. The nose spray is the vital part of the treatment. typically, if the patient is taking it as directed, we see the nosebleeds stop. That may not be the case 100% of the time, but certainly the majority.
If the nosebleeds continue despite perfect compliance with treatment, it's worth a visit to the allergist to see if perhaps there is another choice of nose spray.
With a normal CBC and otherwise normal exam, it's unlikely that anything else sinister is going on.