Suggest treatment for rectal bleeding

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I am 38 year old male. About a year or two ago I would have a lot of problems when I would go poop. It would hurt a lot and 1-2 times per month there would be blood. More recently it does not hurt as much and I really don't bleed that much anymore(maybe once this entire year 2017). But my poop looks different than I think it should. It looks like a mix of diarrhea and a normal poop. Or it will just look like a pile of mud. once it was really skinny. My Dr. set me up with a colonoscopy for this Saturday. I am very nervous and am wondering if there are any other steps I can take before it is decided I would need a colonoscopy?
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rectal bleeding[IBD]

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question on HCM & I do understand your concern

“As” per your clinical history is concerned and before proceeding further, I would you consider to check your hemoglobin and fecal occult blood test. You need a capsule endoscopy to confirm what type of bowel disorder present in your colon and if any abnormality detected then colonoscopy will be done to see and take samples of tissue. You may discuss about these options with your treating doctor.

Hope that helps, Please let me know if you have any further questions before visiting your Doctor.

Thanks and wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad