• question-icon

Suggest treatment for rashes on the lower legs

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My 66 yr old husband just returned from a golf trip in Coastal XXXXXXX and has a sub surface red rash on his lower legs. It is not raised , but below the shin and looks a bit like shingles. He was walking in lots of high marsh grass ( not great golfer!) and he says it does itch...but looks awful .
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be an allergic reaction, upload pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have gone through your complaints and it seems to be allergic reaction.
It doesn't seem to be related to shingles.
I would recommend you to upload the pictures of the affected areas so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly,
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 4 hours later
Thank you....where do I upload photos ?'

i have uploaded 2 photos of his leg and the rash. Thanks! again ...it is below the skin surface...
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be purpuric rash

Detailed Answer:
I have reviewed the attached photographs and it seems to be a purpuric rash.
It can be due to multiple causes like due to prolonged standing, excessive physical activity, as an allergic reaction, and associated with infections .
If your husband is not having any systemic problem associated with the rash like joint pains, fever, abdominal pain, abnormal bleeding no need to worry.
He can apply cortisone cream on the affected areas twice daily and take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist