• question-icon

Suggest treatment for rashes on the hands

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My wife has rashes on her hand as attached in the image.

She has this issue from past 2 to 3 years. We have shown it to Dermatologist and even the allergy tests are done which came normal. We have a 1.2 year old daughter now and these rashes were even there during her pregnancy.

During her pregnancy it was in her right hand but now it is shifted to left hand. Now her right hand is clear. Doctor told it could because of Eczema and asked her to apply Desonide.

As she is breast feeding now, she is not taking any medicine and applying creams to that area and sometimes it is more itching and irritable to her.

Please advise on the reason for these rashes and solution for it. Please note that she is breastfeeding.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eczema and its management

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have gone through your complaints as well as reviewed the attached photograph.
It seems to be eczema.
It can occur due to exogenous factors like use of soaps, detergents or cutting of certain vegetables; or due to endogenous factors which is due to internal sensitivity of the individual.
If I was her treating doctor I would recommend her to apply a topical steroid like clobetasol propionate cream on the affected areas twice daily along with frequent and liberal application of a moisturising cream containing white soft paraffin on the entire hands 3-4 times in a day.
For itching she can take tablet levocetrizine 5 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity.
These medicines are safe in lactation but should be taken under the supervision of the doctor.
Moreover keep your hands moisturisized, avoid frequent washing of hands and wear gloves while washing clothes or utensils.
These measures will help in resolving the problem.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist