Suggest treatment for postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What cure or treatment is available for a 23 yr old female Dx with Postural Orthodontic Tachycardia?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

First of all I would like to say that Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia syndrome (POTS) has no specific treatment but the management include diet and lifestyle change together with medical therapy to prevent hypotension and other circulatory disorders responsible for the symptoms.

If she was my patent I would like to suggest the following measures:
- Increase salt intake
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid standing up to fast from a laying position. Moreover drink 2 glass of water before standing up.

If these measures doesn't help, discuss with your doctor about adding Florinef or Midodrine on her therapy. Since this preparation may have unwanted complications.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you and your family health!
Dr. Shehu