Suggest treatment for placenta previa

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Dear Doctor
Kindly note that my wife has been detected with placenta previa (centrally low lying) and chances of placenta accreta.
Our gynac has suggested IVC filter implantation + peripheral thrombosis + second stage of peripheral angioplasty to ensure the baby is delivered without risk to the mother and without removing the uterus. However, in Internet we just studied that if the uterus is not removed, it may have other future complications like vaginal bleeding, lung problems etc. Kindly advice if we are on the right track.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Decision according to fertility preservation

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
If there are chances of placenta accreta, then it can either be managed by uterine artery embolization as discussed by your doctor or by hysterectomy. Such management is done to preserve future fertility.
If the placenta is left behind in the uterus, then definitely there are chances of infection, bleeding and chances of second surgery to remove uterus.
So, if future fertility is not desired, then it is better to opt for hysterectomy.
It is completely your decision to either go for fertility preservation surgery or go for hysterectomy.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad