Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
155 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for persistent vertigo

Answered by
Dr. Sudhir Kumar


Practicing since :1994

Answered : 5906 Questions

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My wife is 58 and in reasonably good health...145 lbs and 5'8" She said that this week on a couple occassions the room started spinning briefly... and then returned to normal. However, at 4:00 am this morning she had symptoms she has never experienced before: Her eyes were spinning, the room was spinning, and an underlying nauseousness that hasn't gone away. Several times right after the room spins, her shoulders and upper arms feel hot, "like someone has rubbed XXXXXXX XXXXXXX " She is lying in bed at the
moment, not moving, because movement causes the symptoms to begin again... She has also battled tinnitis and her ears are ringing now as well
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly BPPV

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.

I have noted your wife's clinical details. Based on this, the most likely diagnosis is Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). This occurs due to minor dysfunction in the inner ear (semicircular canals). This is self-limiting in nature and symptoms slowly get better on own in a few days.

For relief of symptoms, you can give her betahistine tablets. If symptoms persist, an ENT evaluation may be done.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY:

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Inner ear

doctor1 MD

Hi I am a 33 yr old male; I had an attack of vertigo almost three weeks back. I went to ER where they said it s Vestibular neuritis and I was put...

doctor1 MD

I ve been experiencing sensations as if my brain is shaking inside. When this happens, I ve noticed that my vision is clearly moving in a rapid up...

doctor1 MD

my right eye feels swollen and my right ear has hurt over the last 5 years they seem to be related the upper right quad of my head is I believe...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have been feeling dizzy on and off for 3 weeks- got diagnosed with viral labyrinthitis and given prochlorperazine but last night I woke up at...

doctor1 MD

I recently finished 10 days of antibiotics for a sinus/nasal cold/bug. I still have limited sense of smell and appetite and reduced hearing. I...

doctor1 MD

My daughter,50 years old, is bedridden for 10 days with Vertigo , nausea and dizziness . She was seen at a hospital where an MRI and cat scan found...

doctor1 MD

What surgical options exist for a severe autophony problem in the right ear ? I have been seeing an ENT doctor for the past year, and had consults...