Suggest treatment for persistent vertigo

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My wife is 58 and in reasonably good health...145 lbs and 5'8" She said that this week on a couple occassions the room started spinning briefly... and then returned to normal. However, at 4:00 am this morning she had symptoms she has never experienced before: Her eyes were spinning, the room was spinning, and an underlying nauseousness that hasn't gone away. Several times right after the room spins, her shoulders and upper arms feel hot, "like someone has rubbed XXXXXXX XXXXXXX " She is lying in bed at the
moment, not moving, because movement causes the symptoms to begin again... She has also battled tinnitis and her ears are ringing now as well
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly BPPV

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.

I have noted your wife's clinical details. Based on this, the most likely diagnosis is Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). This occurs due to minor dysfunction in the inner ear (semicircular canals). This is self-limiting in nature and symptoms slowly get better on own in a few days.

For relief of symptoms, you can give her betahistine tablets. If symptoms persist, an ENT evaluation may be done.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in