Suggest treatment for persistent nasal congestion and acute bronchitis

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I've been experiencing moderate to severe nasal congestion for over two weeks. Mucus is heavy, generally clear in color. In the past, this has led to acute bronchitis, extreme chest congestion, coughing. In an effort to avoid a recurrence of bronchitis, I've been self-medicating with water and juice (50/50 water/juice split, 8 to 10 glasses per day), along with an array of vitamins, including vitamin C. To keep my sinuses irrigated, I've been using an over-the-counter saline nasal spray (Ocean). No fever. Some sinus irritation and discomfort. Some sneezing. Some coughing, particularly when I'm talking.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are doing the right things- few more advises

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking at HealthcareMagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.
You are already doing the right things by taking plenty of water and having nasal irrigation to loosen the nasal secretions.

Another issue that would help is quitting smoking if you do smoke. Smoking favors problems with the nasal passages and lungs.

Nasal decongestants (pseudoephedrine or nafasoline) might also help if you use them only for 4-5 days (do not use them longer as this causes the opposite effect if you use them more than 5 days).

Make sure you take enough rest as this is needed if you are fighting an infection.
Take the flu vaccine every year- this will protect you against flu and give you some immunity.

While on a viral infection appetite is not all that great but eating frequent small amount of food makes it easier to have some food and make sure you take fruit and vegetable so you get the needed daily supplements. Make sure you eat healthy while you are doing well also. This will build reserves for when you do not feel well.

Keeping yourself active and having at least 30 minutes of exercise at least 3 times a week is good for your body and immune system also.

Avoiding being in over-crowded places as much as you can is good too. Washing hands with warm water and soap during flu time or when others at home are sick might be helpful to reduce chance of infection.

Have you ever checked your sugar levels and lipids. It is good to rule out diabetes or get treated if you have it as it might affect the immune system.

If you develop fever, chest pain or shortness of breath you will need to see a doctor to rule out more important infections like pneumonia.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please reply in case more clarifications are needed.

Kind regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee