Does Metoprolol interact with Xarelto and Ibuprofen?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am presently taking Xarelto 20mg and Metoprolol for a heart condition. Caught a very bad cold and would like to take Advil Cold & Sinus with Ibuprofen 200mg, pain reliever NSAID Pseudoephedrine HCI 30mg and nasal decongestant. Also Robitussin Cough and Chest Congestion DM. Would like to know if there are any counter indications?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Better to avoid ibuprofen and antibiotics like macrolides

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been gone through lately.

Based on the drug history you have shared, it's better to avoid ibuprofen for the said purpose and acetaminophen can be used instead. Also antihistamines can be taken though saftey data is still not available but avoiding new generation anti histamines like cetrizine etc is indicated in your case keeping in view history of cardiac arrythmias. Any cough syrup containing bronchdilators should also be used with caution.

Also the antibiotics like coamoxiclav can be used safely and should be preferred over macrolides like clarithromycin and Quinolones like Levofloxacin which are otherwise preferred in chest or respiratory medications. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope this has answered your question. If you have any more query please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T