Suggest treatment for persistent lump on the foot

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Back Pain
Question: I had surgery in March 2016--Exostectomy or removal of bossing bone mid foot. Right foot nerve entrapment release/decompression. Prior to surgery I had a large, painful lump on the top of my Right foot--to the point that I needed to buy really large shoes to accommodate it. I had nerve pain wrapping around to my right ankle as well. The lump on my foot did not resolve despite the March surgery that removed bone. The lump was actually larger following surgery, and the nerve pain was worse. A subsequent MRI 13 wks. post op showed a soft tissue mass--"recurrent soft tissue mass and exostosis medial foot." On July 9, 2016, I had "revision of exostosectomy medial mass and exostosis medial foot." The hard lump was found to be fibrous scar tissue. It is now 7 weeks post op, and the hard lump on the top of my foot is even larger! I have nerve pain, and a constant burning sensation in the area of bone removal on the top of my foot. My question is, could I be reacting to the bone wax that was used during both procedures? I am very sensitive to contact lens and makeup products, and have had an anaphylactic reaction to a flu vaccine (preserative free version). Two of my children have anaphylactic reactions to bees. I don't know that there is a connection, but I'm feeling desperate to have this taken care of! Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to allergy or immune related reaction.

Detailed Answer:
A recurrent soft tissue growth at the site of surgical excision with excessive fibrous tissue can be related to an allergic reaction or due to tendency to form an excessive fibrous tissue like in keloids. It can be idiopathic also. Since the tissue is constantly growing, excision followed by cautery in the area can be helpful but such extensive procedure can irritate the nerve endings causing a more intense nerve pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 hours later
What should be my next step then to determine which it is? Can I be allergy tested re: bone wax?

Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergy testing and biopsy of the resected tissue margins can help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Allergy testing and biopsy of resected tissue margins can help in determining the type of tissue. MRI scan can also help in detecting the extent of extension of the lump deep into the foot.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon