What causes red, scaly and itchy eyelids?

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Tue, 21 Nov 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have dry, red, scaly, itchy eye lids. I am a ICU RN and work a lot of hours plus I am currently in school getting my masters degree. I asked my doctor and he said it was an allergic reaction, but I haven't changed my make up but I have been going to bed without washing my face really good. No sinus symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Blepharitis

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. It looks like blepharitis, an inflammation of glands in the eyelids. This inflammation can be caused by a variety of irritants, such as make up, exposure to environmental chemicals, airborne allergens, sprays or even contact lens solutions.

A specific form of blepharitis is also seborrheic blepharitis, which is like the dandruff of the scalp and is an accumulation of dead skin cells.

Not cleaning your face properly may lead to clogging of these glands leading to inflammation.

Treatment depends on the cause of inflammation, so I recommend your start by properly cleaning your face before bed time, with a mild cleanser or cotton pads soaked in warm chamomile tea. Leave the warm cotton pads to rest for a while on the eyelids and let them air dry.

You might want to try Zyrtec and if it brings relief, you can rule the cause as an allergic reaction.

If this is not the case, the next step is to use a topical antibiotic such as tetracycline.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad