Suggest treatment for persistent headache

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi, I'm a 32 male, i have a unilateral headache that is constant for around two weeks on my left side. My GP has checked the back of my eyes and field of vision. I have tried all types of pain relief paracetamol, neurofen and my doc prescribed 900mg aspirin to no avail. The pain is almost constant 24/7 by my temple sometimes spreading back to the top of my head. It's a dull heavy aching sensation by my temple. I'm worried its something serious as i don't usually get headaches can you please advise on possible diagnosis or if it is possibly serious. I am really worried
Answered by Dr. Eni 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please answer some of my questions

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,
I understand your concern about this headache.

The information you have provided is not enough to find the possible diagnosis.

I would like to know if you have ever had this pain before. If yes, is it seasonal?

Did you have a family history of this kind of pain? Is it constantly the same amount of pain, or does it differ from morning to evening? If yes, how?

Is there any food or activity, noise or smell that exacerbates the headache?

Does your left eye get red with pain?

These further details regarding the headache are important for me to find the most probable diagnosis. So please revert back with the answers, and anything else you feel is important in this case.

Awaiting...

Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Eni 10 hours later
No I have never had this kind of pain before and there is no family history either.
The pain is constant throughout the day of the same intensity however I have noticed it flares up from low level intensity to moderate when I'm moving around like going to the shops.
As for my eye, there is no redness.
Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cluster Headache and Migraine are the possible diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
From what you describe, this is a unilateral pain which can last for a long period of time and it can spead back to the top of your head.
This is characteristic of both Migraine and some uncommon forms of Cluster headache.
This are both lifelong conditions tha need a preventive treatment with calcium-blockers or beta-blockers such as verapamil or propanolol.
But the acute treatment for both of them is sumatriptan 6mg subcutaneous. This can repeated after 1 hour if the pain has not subsided, but no more than 12 mg/24 hours.
Aspirin, paracetamol and neurofen are not effective against this, so stop taking them because you will start experiencing side-effects for the high dose of aspirin you are taking.
In addition, I would recommend you to see a Neurologist, so that the precise diagnosis can be established and he/she can help you understand this better and to start together a preventive treatment prewcribed by him/her.
Hope I have helped you. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Eni