Suggest treatment for palpitations and high heart rate

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 18 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: Doctor I'm 22 years old and have a history of palpitations and high heart rate which started around pregnancy and now I'm six months postpartum. I have seen a cardiologist which did ecg and ultrasound of the heart and everything came back normal. But since 5 days I'm having pain in my chest along the back and my left arm and today the pain has increased I can feel it all the time could this be related to blocked artery or anything like that because I'm concerned.

Note: currently taking concor 2.5mg
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms don't seem to be related to coronary artery disease (or blocked arteries). Your previous normal cardiac tests can confirm this.

Is the chest pain triggered by body movements or respiration? This could be indicative for musculo-skeletal pain (as you are taking care of a baby, it is normal to have musculo-skeletal pain related to the physical effort or wrong position during staying or sleeping).

Besides, anxiety could also play an important role in your symptomatology.

Anyway, if your troubles persist, I would recommend going to the ER for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a resting ECG
- a cervico-thoracic spinal column X ray study
- some lab blood tests (complete blood count, blood electrolytes, kidney and liver function tests).

I would also recommend checking your thyroid hormone levels as a thyroid dysfunction could trigger all this symptomatology.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri