Suggest treatment for painful boils and cysts on hands

Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i have numerous MRSA sores, boils and cysts. Also, small ones on hands. Last night, the palm on my left hand has become very painful. Wondering if it's coming from MRSA. Cannot see anything at this time. Please help!
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Proper evaluation needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at HCM.
I understand your concern and situation.

I would like to suggest that if you have a small skin boil or cyst caused by MRSA, your doctor may just make an incision and drain it. Collect the sample and send it for gram staining and culture sensitivity testing. I would advise you to take drugs according to sensitivity results. You might prescriptions of linezolid, fluoroquinolones, aminoglycosides. I would suggest you also to get nasal screening for MRSA. Use chlorhexidine scrub bath. Remember hand hygiene is most important and practice hand washing properly with chlorhexidine wash. I must suggest you to visit an immunologist to assess your immune status as you are having recurring infections. Get nasal screening for everyone in family. Maintain general hygiene and eat protein rich balanced diet with multivitamins. Drink plenty of water.

Hope I answered your query
Rating and review will be appreciated
Dr Sheetal Verma
Follow up: Dr. Sheetal Verma 15 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. However, it doesn't help me much. I've learned all the cleanliness items from my infectious disease doctor over the years. I still have many sores and boils on my body. But, at least I can see them and treat them with various medicines.

My question to you from early this morning had to do with the middle of my left palm. It is very painful, but it cannot be seen at this time. Several years ago, I had a massive MRSA infection that settled in my left thigh. Again, I couldn't see anything, but every day it became more painful to the point I could hardly walk. I was finally hospitalized where they took pictures and did a biopsy, if I remember right. Finally, They operated and sucked out the infection.

This hand thing is nothing compared to the thigh. I guess I'll call my doctor about it.

Thank you,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rest and NSAID advised.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I really feel sorry for all your past experiences. But the pain in palm cannot be attributed to MRSA as of now without evaluation. Do you have numbness or pain in spine or shoulders? Kindly describe the kind of pain? Get your blood sugar levels checked. I would suggest you to visit an orthopedic surgeon for proper examination. Palm pain alone is rarely a serious condition. Get complete blood count, ESR, ASO, RA factor and serum uric acid level. You must rest your hand and take ibuprofen or voltaflam for pain.

Best of health