• question-icon

Suggest treatment for painful and itchy lesions

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I think I got bit by something close to midnight on Thursday 6/29. I didn't feel pain and have no symptoms but its huge so not sure I should be alarmed. In the last few days, it seems to have grown and is itchy so I put aloe or cortizone on it or XXXXXXX some ice in a towel on it. Should I be concerned? see attached pics from thursday and today.

I forgot to mention I took one Zyrtec Thursday once I saw it. And another one right now.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tick bite

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns. you seems that you are experiencing an allergic reaction to the insect bite. I would recommend that to take an antihistaminic as Zyrtec on daily basis once before going to bed to together with an antihistaminic ointement as Benadryl . Also you should apply an antibiotic ointement three times daily to avoid superadded bacterial infection.
I would also recommend that you take a test for Lyme disease which is transmitted by tick bites.
if you did not improve then you can use local corticosteroids as prednisone cream twice daily or systemic corticosteroids to abort the allergic reaction. I hope I answered your question
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman