• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pain in the feet due to arthritis

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 69 and have arthritis in my feet. I am trying to getting back into tennis to improve my fitness, but my feet are so painful the next morning I can hardly walk. I take Celebrex for my knees as they are in bad shape too. Are there other options to help my feet besides surgery?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Physotherapy and hot bath can help.

Detailed Answer:
it is good that you are trying to improve your fitness. In addition to pain killers and other supplements I would like to give some advice to make the life better and to fight with these pains-

Do regular physiotherapy of joints.
Hot fomentation to decrease the joint stiffness
Hot bath of Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate)-Magnesium has both anti-inflammatory and anti- arthritic properties and it can be absorbed through the skin.
You can try gaultheria oil or oil of winter green,so many patients of mine are telling they are relieved of pain with that.

You have to apply the oil on the area that has pain.

Increasing the dietary fish intake and/or fish oil capsules (omega-3 capsules) can sometimes reduce the inflammation .

Take vegetables and fruits that are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Calcium, Omega-3 Fatty acid, Zinc, Magensium and many more.

Surgery should be kept as a last option when all other methods fail.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 42 minutes later
What is "Hot fomentation"?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Application of heat pad.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Hot fomentation refers to application of a heat pad at the site for pain relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon