Is resuming work advisable while having heel pain due to physical strain?

Question
Hi there, I'm on my feet standing for my job. Last night as I was walking at work, I felt a sharp pain in my heel almost as if a ligament in my heel snapped. Can I still work?
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
depends on the severity of the pain and nature of your job

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It would depend on the severity of the pain that you are experiencing and your ability to stand and walk.
It also would depend on the nature of your job, how physical it is.

If you are in severe pain with difficult ambulating or standing , which are required a lot in your job then you may need to stay home if possible.

If your job does not require a lot of standing or walking then you may be okay at least for a short time but for soft tissue injuries, rest is required as part of treatment.

The affected area should be rested with decreased activity and pressure on it.
Ice compress can be applied and you can continue the aleve if it is working for you.
Voltaren, celebrex or ibuprofen are other options if there is no improvement.

The ice compress can be applied 2 to 3 times a day for 10 to 15 mins.

If there is any swelling then the leg should be elevated and a bandage placed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Is resuming work advisable while having heel pain due to physical strain? 19 minutes later
Thank you for the speedy response. The pain is not super severe but I'm not able to walk without limping. I'd say the pain is a bit more than modrate. I'm a hair stylist so I stand for 6-8 hours. If I do try to work, is there anything I can do to keep it from getting more injured? The pain is at the bottom of my foot at the back of my arch at my heel and stretches toward my heel mid foot. It's worse spot is right at the heel on the bottom inside.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
may be difficult

Detailed Answer:
HI

Unfortunately only trying to look into special shoes that may cushion the foot may help.

You would need periods to rest your foot as well along with occasional stretching exercises. If the pain is due to what is called a spur (medically called plantar fasciitis) , there are specific stretching and strengthening exercises on the internet. (print outs are available)

It may be really hard for you to stand for that length of time