Suggest treatment for rheumatoid arthritis

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Lupus
Question: I have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I is now getting more prevalent, in "owie" department but afraid to take any meds for it. The warnings are scarier than the very uncomfortable state I'm in now. I know the first thing to do is lose weight(obese). Hurt areas are lower spine, neck, knees, shoulders..
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
some persons have little or no effects, if do occur ,meds can be stopped

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be concerned regarding the possible side effects that may or may not occur.
It is important to remember that you may not experience any side effects or only minor effects.
There are some persons that have little or no problems when they use the prescribed meds.

If you do experience side effects due to the medication then it can be stopped, it would not need to be continued.

In some persons, the use of anti inflammatory pain medication (eg naproxen, celebrex, ibuprofen, voltaren) is enough but if this is not the case for you then you may need to consider the other medications.

As you said, losing weight would help because it reduce the stress on the joints and also because obesity is an inflammatory state-- the body has an increase of inflammation due to the obesity itself.

Weight loss can be difficult however for some. Diet changes would have the major impact with or without exercise but would be best with exercise to improve heart health.
The main weight loss diet changes are low carb diets or low fat/low calorie diet. You would need to chose the one that works best for you and stick to it.

Using meal replacements for one or two meals a day would help.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Thank you! I appreciate the answers very much
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no problem

Detailed Answer:
If you need any other assistance, can let me know