Suggest treatment for pain in rectum

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have pain inside my rectum on the left side. Standing up bending over walking all cause sharp pain. But i do not have any bleeding when I have a bowel movement. Basically when ever the anus muscle I guess you would call it is flexed or tightened. Also when I cough or sneeze. Do you think it could be a hemorrhoid?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Prostate inflammation, hemorrhoid or anal fissure.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Pain in rectum can be caused by anal fissure. This issue is caused by a kind of wound in the rectum. This wound causes pain especially when stool is passing the rectum and right after it. Bleeding is not always present. This condition is possible when you have constipation.
Hemorrhoids can sometimes cause such pain as well. But bleeding or at least itching around anus is very often present.

As rectum is located close to prostate, prostate inflammation can also be the reason of sharp anal pain. You may have burning while urinating or testis pain as well. But rectal pain can be the only symptom.

I suggest you to consult general surgeon. Simple rectal examination will tell the truth.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon