Suggest treatment for pain in legs

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
My name is XXXX. I am 48 years old. I am having intermittent shooting almost electricsl pain down both of my legs, with excruciating pain when it, literally, hits my foot, when I exhale, while sitting, lounging, or laying down. Its getting worse by the day. I also have been having, what I csll, myoclonic jerks, but they're all day, not just at night, but my whole body isnt jerking at once. Its my leg, or my neck, or my arm, or even my back. Again, happens mostly while sitting, lounging, or lying down. I don't know if I should go to a doctor, or what doctor to see. Do you have any ideas, cuz just while typing this, I've been shocked about 10 times, and had 3 jerks
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pinched nerve may be the cause along with seizure

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. These symptoms are suggestive of sciatica along with a type of epilepsy. The cause may be confirmed by physical examination, but most commonly it is due to slip disc that is prolapsed of intervertebral disc leading to nerve compression (pinched nerve).
The pinched nerve leads to numbness, tingling sensation and weakness of leg depending on severity of compression.
In the follow up query I would like to know are you able to walk on your heels and toes? That will give me some idea of severity of nerve compression.MRI of spine is the preferred investigation.
These jerk are most likely because of epilepsy. My suggestion for you would be visit a physician/Neurologist for physical examination.
Hope this helps. I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain in legs 11 minutes later
toes better than heels , but can do both

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seem Nerve (lumbar nerve number5) is compressed

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It's good to see you.
After going through your reply, it is suggestive of pinched nerve (lumbar nerve number 5).For this MRI is the Investigation of choice.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain in legs 2 minutes later
I know my L5-S1 was "bad" , but this must mean its really gotten worse, cuz I dont really have pain in my lower back

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pinched neve typically leads to pain in limbs

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have gone through your reply. The Lower backache may or may not be associated with pinched nerve and most of the time it is present initially. But with the passage of time it typically present with radiating pain in legs only.

theres no pain unless I exhale. NONE. Why is that?

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Increase Intraspinal pressure causes It

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Whenever there is increase in Intraspinal pressure by activities (laughing, coughing, exhale) as mentioned by you it leads to pain.
Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain in legs 3 minutes later
do you think going to my primary care physician before going to the neurologist is worth it, or straight to a neurologist?

Brief Answer:
I would prefer a neurologist,If possible

Detailed Answer:
Hello
If possible and given a chance I would prefer Neurologist otherwise Primary care physician.