Suggest treatment for pain and swelling on toe after an injury

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Accident and Emergency
Question: I injured by big toe when it got caught in the handle of a metal dust pan last night. I had seven stitches that started on the top inside of my big toe to the bottom . It was pretty deep .... close to the bone. It happened last night .... just over 24 hours ago.... and with Norco 5-325 (2 every 6 hours) I am experiencing quite a bit of pain and swelling to the other toes on my foot. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its normal (swelling) after bone deep injury

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. It is normal to have swelling around the injured part especially bone deep cuts. My suggestion would be-
1. Keep your foot elevated that is above the heart level.
2. I hope you are taking drugs like trypsin/chymotrypsin to reduce swelling. If not you may add it.
3. Move the toes within your pain limit.
Hope this helps and wishing you early recovery.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 8 minutes later
Thank you for your quick reply. The ER doctor gave me a "shoe" to wear in order to limit mobility in the toe due to nerve damage ...... so I am under the impression that I should not be moving my toe at all.... He did not give me anything for the swelling, just antibiotics and the Norco, Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may delay movement in view of nerve injury

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's good to see you
You may delay the movement in view of nerve damage and may follow the rest of advice as discussed earlier along with vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin) as it helps in nerve healing.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

I am concerned because I went to a small hospital that does not have a very good reputation. I will take the B12 ; is there anything else I should be on the look out for until I get a chance to see my regular GP?
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Watch for early sign of infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I understand your concern and my advice would be watch for sign of Infection like Increasing pain, fever, and swelling and may take healthy balanced diet.