• question-icon

What causes large plantar calcaneal spur?

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I just found out that I have a large plantar calcaneal spur, and I am trying to function with the pain. I am icing the foot, am exercising, and taking pain meds. My question is how long before the pain goes away, and I can walk normally and function again? I do work in retail so I am on my feet quite a lot.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
use soft footwear

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Plantar calcaneal spurs usually occur due to standing on feet continuously for long hours.Chances are more especially if you use hard soled footwear.If you are obese,then that also might be the contributing factor.

Usually,once formed,such spurs do not dissolve and remain there lifelong.
Using ice packs may not help.Instead apply local analgesic gel and do hot fomentation atleast twice a day.

Use a footwear with very soft heel cushion whenever you stand or walk.Silicon insoles can be fitted in the footwears.

Reduce weight if you are obese.

Take analgesic medicines like ibuprofen,tramadol along with trypsin,chymotrypsin.

If these measures do not help,then you should consult a orthopedist and if needed,take a steroid injection shot at the painful site.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 43 minutes later
Since I am on my feet , for work, is it okay to wrap the foot with sports tape as well as a good walking shoe? Will this help?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Soft footwear

Detailed Answer:

Only wrapping the foot with sports tape and using a walking shoe will not help unless the insoles / heel cushion of the footwear are soft.

For that matter,you can use any type of footwear which has very soft heel insole.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon