Suggest treatment for pain after kidney transplant

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Fri, 2 Jan 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My father is 79 years old he had a kidney transplant 12 yrs ago from my brother; all is fine and great; he had a golfer elbow problem about 6 weeks ago painful and became chair ridden and bed ridden and took Vicodin ever since besides all his other meds, he has lost his appetite, lost 20 lbs, his became white in his color and goes from chair to bed..his arm got better and since them..now 6 weeks his back kills him..orthorities he has and gotten worse and still on Vicodin doc give him..still losing weight, still not eating much and taking to the bed more and more..not walking much..and white as can be..what is going on..i am scare and worried..his daughter..he lives with me...we lost our mother 3 yrs ago and he does grieve for her still....sorry for spelling..

How long does it usually take for a doctor to respond?
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible anemia. tests necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am DR. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. He appears to be having severe anemia.
2. Pale skin, weakness, bed ridden - all point towards anemia.
3. His recent malnutrition secondary to stress associated with arthritis could have exacerbated it.
4. Get serum urea, creatinine and complete hemogram done. Based on these tests. Further opinion is possible.

Hope there is no internal bleeding or gastritis.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, happy to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Follow up: Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 11 minutes later
He has been having severe constipation but I contribute that to the medicene because I know vicodin can do that not to mention he is not moving around so he is taking ducolax and I am trying to get him to walk more..and take some figs and eat more..how can we know if he is bleeding internal or test for anemia...what causes anemia...and gastritis...or the bleeding?
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Good hydration along with complete hemogram

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking again.

Vicodin is known to cause GI disturbances.

Yes, it is good to know that you are helping him towards improving his habits.

Walking, mild exercise and fiber diet, will help him towards achieving more stool mass. Additionally, good hydration and regular sleep pattern will also be helpful.

Test for anemia would be estimation of hemoglobin. Get a complete hemogram.

Internal bleeding, usually occurs commonly in gut. Stool could be dark black colored or with tinges of redness. If not, stool examination for blood can confirm it.

Medications, stress, spicy food commonly cause gastritis. Gastritis can lead to stomach mucosa irritation and bleeding.

Usage of laxative like dulcolax can sometimes cause dehydration. Hydration is necessary. Ask him to take good amount of fluids.

Get a complete hemogram along with serum urea and creatinine. Based on the reports, further investigations can be thought of.

Hope it helps.

Dr. Prakash HM