Suggest treatment for venous insufficiency

Dr. Manjunath Metri

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 16 Nov 2017 in Veins and Arteries
Question: My M.D. states I have venous insufficiency. I was looking to find the reason for my fails having indention's and read about peripheral artery disease. Are they related? Should I ask my doctor for specific tests?That should read, "my NAILS having indention's"
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No both are different..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic..
I thank you for posting your query here and I am definitely going to help you out..

I read your question completely and have understood it well enough..
Please note..

1. Venous insufficiency is altogether a different thing from Peripheral Artery diseases.

2. Venous Insufficiency is associated with Veins in the lower limbs generally.
And this produces symptoms like dull aching pain etc..

3. Peripheral Artery disease is concerned with arteries and usually lead to reduced blood supply and gangrene eventually.

4. Indention of nails is not so specific symptom as such..

5. But considering your age, Peripheral Artery disease is more problematic and hence I would recommend, Arterial Doppler scan of that particular or both limbs.
With this we can know the blood supply to the limb..

Hope this helps you..
In case you need further assistance, please contact me back..
Or, you can close the question and rate.
Take care..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Manjunath Metri 3 days later
So are you saying Beau's nails are not a valid symptom associated with peripheral artery disease?
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, there are many other causes

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome back..
Thank you for getting back with your doubts..

Please note..

1. There are many causes for XXXXXXX lines, like infection and most commonly malnutrition.

2. But, it's unlikely with Peripheral Artery diseases.

3. Yes, brittle nails are seen in Peripheral Artery diseases but again it's not so specific.

Hope this helps you..
In case you need further assistance, please contact me back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng