Suggest treatment for numbness on the hands

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I hit my funny bone really hard. Now my ring finger, pinky and part of my hand is numb.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends upon degree of injury - Need to see a Doc/Neurologist asap

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thank for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Female/50 - hit hard on funny bone - numbness over ring, pinky and part of hand - read online - ulnar nerve is probable swollen and bruised - wants to know how long would this last and whether needs to see a Doctor ...

The history and involvement of the part of the hand indicate that the ulner nerve is affected. Since it has motor supply to the small muscles of the hand and some muscles in the forearm, it is imperative to see your Doctor, preferably a Neurologist so that further studies like clinical evaluation, X-ray of the elbow and nerve conduction study, electromyography can be done to assess the exact level of damage, mode of treatment and probable prognosis/outcome.

The answer to your question depend upon these findings.
Since the nerve tissue generation occurs totally different that the rest of the tissues/organs of the body I would advise you to get these done at the earliest to get best possible results.
If this is simply a Neuropraxia the recovery can be early and complete; hence the haste.

I hope, this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.